On Thursday at 5:00 P.M. ET President Joe Biden took to the White House podium to deliver his plan to battle the continual spread of Covid -19, calling it a “pandemic of the unvaccinated,” citing “elected officials by creating mobile morgues for the unvaccinated,” possible targeting Florida Governor Ron DeSantis’ efforts to set up monoclonal antibody camps throughout the State.
(Deaths from COVID in Florida are down 85% from one week ago, according to Johns Hopkins University to under 20 per day in of September 9th, 2021)
Bidens emphasis is getting people to take the vaccine. To do so, he is creating “requirements” because “the time for waiting is over.”
The presidents’ plan includes more testing in schools for people who have not received vaccinations. Biden added, “it’s not about freedom or personal choice but about protection.”
Other strategies included:
- Biden says he will use the Department of Labor to mandate employers with more than 100 employees require vaccinations and/or cover time off for those who choose to get vaccinated.
- Up to 17 million healthcare workers will be required to have a vaccine, using the force of the Health and Human Services (HHS) to back his order.
- An executive order that forces all federal employees to get vaccinnated – including contractors who do work for the federal government.
- Deploy home use rapid test kits in the next 90 days to make sure people can test for COVID and expand free testing at 10,000 pharmacies across the U.S.
- FEMA will also be called in to provide “surge response teams” to battle outbreaks throughout the country, though little detail was provided how this would be carried out.
The president also announced additional measures for those who are vaccinated, including making sure free of charge booster shots are approved.
Biden also says parents of children over 12 are encouraged to get a vaccination. Those under 12 must await FDA approval, but Biden says he is anxious to “start the process sooner than later to get all children vaccinated once approval comes from the FDA.”
Perhaps one of the biggest mandates announced was the president using his authority under the Department of Interior to require all teachers to be vaccinated who are part of the Head Start Program, which is national embraced in most public school systems.
Biden also threatened to override Governor’s who do not follow suit and mandate teachers to get vaccinated.
Fines for not wearing masks will double through the TSA at airports and train stations, the president said.
Full audio here